Tuesday, April 8, 2014

PHOENIX

Lets take a look at the armature for this piece:


The armature consists of three main parts. 
First there as a heavy base with a removable steel rod. The rod will be hidden by the bird's feathers.
The figure will be supported by a basic 14 gage wire armature with tubing placed over the wire for more stability. 
The support rod and the figure armature will be connected by a tube which will slip over the support rod and be attached to the the body armature at the spine.

This is my simplified proportions chart which. We will use the head to scale the rest of the body. The nice thing about this chart is that it is drawn to scale on a sheet of printer paper so by following the layout on a simple 1:1 scale, I can make my figure about 11-12" tall without the need of a scaled chart.


I will be using this armature for the figure. It is one I made for a sculpting class awhile ago. Again, it is drawn to the same scale so there is no need to measure and scale.
Next time we will build the armature.

Along with this tutorial, I will keep you posted on other work as I go.

This was yesterday's work as I am getting ready for the Quinlan show in Philly next month.

I will be teaching a class on sculpting the male head so had to bake a batch of skulls for the students. Still room for more if you want to join us!
Have a great day sculpting!
Mark

3 comments:

  1. I loved seeing your armature. That is one thing I am not sure about.
    Hugs Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see how this turns out

    Hugs
    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for walking us through the process, it is very helpful. Do you teach on-line classes?

    ReplyDelete